Trade Mark Search
Before applying for a trade mark registration:
Basic Search (e-Searching)
- You may conduct a cursory search of the Trade Marks Register to determine if the mark you may wish to use is available to you.
- This search facility only provides basic search information.
- This search facility is free of charge.
- You may apply on a form TM2 for a special (preliminary) search in the Trade Marks Register to determine if there are no existing prior rights in an identical or confusingly similar trade mark to your intended mark, which could prevent the registration of yours.
- The form TM2 must be completed as shown on the SAMPLE TM2.
- The cost for a special search is R190.00 and the proof of payment must reach us on or before the date that you apply for the special search.
- This fee is payable for each separate class/es you require the special search to be conducted in.
- A special search is not mandatory but will help you to determine if the mark you may wish to use is indeed available to you.
- The original form TM2 must be submitted to CIPC via post, or courier services, or placed in the drop box outside the CIPC office at the dti Campus, 77 Meintjies Street, Sunnyside, Pretoria.
- Should you require more detailed information you can also conduct a trade marks search via IP Online.
- This search facility is not free of charge and fees are payable in line with the prescribed fees in terms of the Trade Mark Regulations.