Changes to the Close Corporation Name
In order to change an existing close corporation name, a name must first be reserved. Once a name reservation has been approved, the close corporation must apply for an amended Founding Statement. Please note that any changes to the Founding statement must be accompanied by a resolution by the members authorising the name change.
To apply for a name change, follow these steps:
Register as a Customer
To view information on how to register as a customer, click here. If you are already registered as a customer, and know your customer code and password, proceed to step 2.
Deposit R50 for a name reservation and R30 for the Amended Founding Statement (CK2) into the CIPC bank account. For the bank account details, click here. Use your customer code as reference when depositing funds into the CIPC account.
Reserve a Corporate Name
For more information about name reservation, click here. Any company may be registered with or without a company name. If a reserved name is not included in the initial application, the company will be registered with its enterprise number. A name may be added at a later stage through a name amendment. A name amendment requires an approved name reservation and a special resolution to effect a change to the Memorandum of Incorporation (MOI).
To reserve a company name, follow these steps:
- Click on”On-line transacting”/Name Reservation;
- Login using your Customer Code and Password;
- Click on Name Reservations/Proposed Name;
- Click on “Proposed Names”;
- Capture one to four names in order of preference. Please ensure that you capture the names accurately. If you make an error, you will need to apply for a name change at a later stage;
- Click on “Submit Proposed Name”.
- A screen will display, indicating if the exact name test was successful or not. If the test for one of the proposed names was not successful, it will be indicated with a cross. Click on Back and propose another name if you want to add another name. Click on Lodge Name Reservation.
- The next screen will indicate that the proposed name(s) has been reserved, and provide you with a reservation number. Click on either Back to Name Reservations or on Home.
- You will receive an SMS and email confirmation of the name reservation with the reference number of the reservation.
Click here for the CIPC service delivery standards.
Apply for an Amendment to the Founding Statement
To apply for the name change of the close corporation, follow these steps:
Print and complete the CK2 form.
The forms must be signed by all members of the close corporation.
Scan and e-mail the completed, signed and certified documents together with supporting information to email@example.com
The following supporting documents must be included in your e-mail:
- Letter of approved name (Cor9.4)
- Certified identity copy of applicant
- Certified ID copies of all members and resigning members
- Certified copies of passports and in the case of refugees or asylum seekers – a certified copy of valid prescribed documentation.