Amalgamations of Co-operatives (Section 57&64)
If members of a co-operative would like to amalgamate two or more co-operatives, a special resolution is needed. Pass a special resolution at a general meeting convened for approval of agreement to amalgamate two or more co-operatives.
To amalgate co-operatives, follow these steps:
Register as a Customer
To view information on how to register as a customer, click here. If you are already registered as a customer, and know your customer code and password, proceed to step 2.
Amalgamate the co-operative
Print and complete the following forms:
The following supporting documents must be attached to the application:
- Confirmation notice of name reservation - CoR9.4
- Certified identity copy of members
- Power of attorney (if applicable)
- Proof of payment of R125
- Copy/Summary of the proposed amalgamation agreement must accompany the notice of meeting
- Notice of registered office, directors of the amalgamated co-operative
- Declaration by the directors of each amalgamating co-operative stating that the amalgamated co-operative is liquid, solvent and interests of creditors will be protected.
- The board of directors of each amalgamating co-operative must submit the proposed agreement to amalgamate to a general meeting of each amalgamating co-operative
- A copy or summary of the proposed amalgamation agreement must accompany the notice of such meeting
- An amalgamation agreement must be approved by special resolutions of each amalgamating co-operative
- After approval of an amalgamation agreement, the constitution of the amalgamated co-operative must be submitted to the registrar for approval, together with a notice of its registered office, a notice of the directors of the amalgamated co-operative
- A declaration by the directors of each amalgamating co-operative must be attached to the constitution submitted as mentioned above, establishing that the relevant provisions of their constitutions have been complied with in approving the amalgamation, and that there are reasonable grounds to believe that-
- the amalgamated co-operative will be able to pay its liabilities as they become due;
- the realisable value of the amalgamated co-operative's assets will not be less than the total of its liabilities, share capital and reserves; and
- the interests of creditors will be protected in compliance with section 64.
Service turnaround time: 10 working days from date of receipt of the application.