Changes to the Financial Year End
Changing the Constitution of the Co-operative
As long as any changes to your constitution follow the Co-operatives Act and the principles of a Co-operative, you may change your constitution to suit your own requirements.
You may only change your constitution by taking a special resolution (decision), which is a decision taken by at least two thirds of the members present at a general meeting.
- The constitution of a Co-operative can set a higher majority for a special resolution if the members wish to do so.
- Members need to be informed that they are required to vote on the proposed change, so you need to send them a notice in advance about the meeting and the proposed change that will be voted on.
- The Co-operative must then submit the special resolution to the Registrar of Co-operatives, so that their original constitution can be changed accordingly. You do this by paying the required fee, completing Form CO-OP 6 and sending it to the CIPC.
- The Registrar must register the change to your constitution, provided that it follows the Co-operatives Act and the Co-operatives principles and provided that your Co-operative has followed the correct procedure for making changes.
To apply for changes to the co-operative, follow these steps:
Register as a Customer
To view information on how to register as a customer, click here. If you are already registered as a customer, and know your customer code and password, proceed to step 2.
Deposit R17.50 per clause of the co-operative constitution that you would like to change, into the CIPC bank account. For the bank account details, click here.
Apply for a change to the co-operatives constitution
Print and complete form CO-OP 6
Scan and e-mail or post the completed and signed documents together with supporting information to Coemail@example.com
The following supporting documents must be included in your e-mail:
- The original written resolution or statement of consent to the name change signed by all members of the co-operative
- Certified identity copy of the chairperson of the meeting
- Power of attorney (if applicable)
Service turnaround time: 15 working days from the date of receipt of the application.