Other Changes to the Constitution (CO-OP6)
Changing the Constitution of the Co-operative
As long as any changes to your constitution follow the Co-operatives Act and the principles of a Co-operative, you may change your constitution to suit your own requirements.
Changes to the constitution may include changes to the objectives and business description, membership, loans to members, financial year end, surplus and bonus payments. You may wish to change the length of time that a member may be a Director. The Co-operative Act states that Directors may not hold office for more than four years, so you would not be allowed to increase the term of office to five years, but you may reduce it to three years.
You may only change your constitution by taking a special resolution (decision), which is a decision taken by at least two thirds of the members present at a general meeting.
- The constitution of a Co-operative can set a higher majority for a special resolution if the members wish to do so.
- Members need to be informed that they are required to vote on the proposed change, so you need to send them a notice in advance about the meeting and the proposed change that will be voted on.
- The Co-operative must then submit the special resolution to the Registrar of Co-operatives, so that their original constitution can be changed accordingly. You do this by paying the required fee, completing Form CO-OP 6 and sending it to the CIPC.
- The Registrar must register the change to your constitution, provided that it follows the Co-operatives Act and the Co-operatives principles and provided that your Co-operative has followed the correct procedure for making changes.
To apply for changes to the co-operative, follow these steps:
Register as a Customer
To view information on how to register as a customer, click here. If you are already registered as a customer, and know your customer code and password, proceed to step 2.
- Deposit R17.50 per clause of the co-operative constitution that you would like to change, into the CIPC bank account. For the bank account details, click here.
Apply for a change to the co-operatives constitution
Print and complete form CO-OP6
Scan and e-mail or post the completed and signed documents together with supporting information to
The following supporting documents must be included in your e-mail:
- The original written resolution or statement of consent to the name change signed by all members of the co-operative
- Certified identity copy of the chairperson of the meeting
- Power of attorney (if applicable)
Service turnaround time: 15 working days from the date of receipt of the application.