All companies (including external companies) and close corporations are required by law to lodge their Annual Returns with CIPC within a certain period of time every year.
An Annual Return is a statutory return in terms of the Companies and Close Corporations Acts and therefore MUST be complied with. Failure to do so will result in the Commission assuming that the company and/or close corporation is not doing business or is not intending on doing business in the near future. Non-compliance with annual returns may lead to deregistration, which has the effect that the juristic personality is withdrawn and the company or close corporation ceases to exist.
- Companies have 30 business days from the date that the entity become due to file annual returns before it is in non-compliance with the Companies Act.
- Close Corporations have from the first day of its anniversary month up until the thereafter to file Annual Returns before it is non-compliance with the Close Corporations Act.
- Annual Returns can only be filed electronically.
- Always use your customer code to transact with CIPC.
What is an Annual Financial Statement or Financial Accountability Supplement?
For more information on Annual Financial Statements or Financial Accountability Supplements kindly click here.
Steps to file Annual Returns and either Annual Financial Statements or Financial Accountability Supplement
Annual Returns must either be filed electronically on CIPC's website or on a CIPC Self-Service Terminal (SST). However, the SST process is only suitable for companies and close corporations where the director or member files the Annual Return him/herself.
Register as a Customer
To view information on how to register as a customer, click here. If you are already registered as a customer, and know your customer code and password, proceed to step 2.
Calculate, file and pay your Annual Return
To view the step by step guide on how to calculate, file and pay outstanding Annual Returns, click here. The Annual Return filing confirmation will automatically be e-mailed to the e-mail address as per the customer code used to file the Annual Return.
Click here to file an enquiry.
File either Annual Financial Statement or Financial Accountability Supplement
Once the Annual Return has been filed select either the Annual Financial Statement or Financial Accountability Supplement link and file the necessary information.
Alternatively, follow the links below:
- Annual Financial Statement: www.cipc.co.za / e-services / login using customer code and password / transact / document upload / annual financial statements
- Financial Accountability Supplement: www.cipc.co.za / maintain your business / financial statements and independent review
There is no service delivery turnaround time for submitting annual returns since the filing is instantaneous once "File Annual Returns" is clicked. If the entity is in "Annual Return deregistration" process, the status will automatically be updated to "In Business" if all outstanding annual returns are paid and filed.