Changes to the Company Name
In order to change an existing company name, or to add a name to a company that is trading with its registration number, a name must first be reserved.
Once a name reservation has been approved, the company must lodge a notice of Amendment of memorandum of incorporation (cor15.2). Please note that any changes to a MoI must be accompanied by a special resolution adopted at a shareholders meeting authorising the name change.
Register as a Customer
To view information on how to register as a customer, click here. If you are already registered as a customer, and know your customer code and password, proceed to step 2.
Deposit R50 for a name reservation and R250 for the MoI change if the company has been trading with a name (there is no fee associated with a name change from registration number to a name) into the CIPC bank account. For the bank account details, click here. Use your customer code as reference when depositing funds into the CIPC account.
Service turnaround time: 10 working days from date of tracking.
Reserve a Corporate Name
For more information about name reservation, click here. Any company may be registered with or without a company name. If a reserved name is not included in the initial application, the company will be registered with its enterprise number. A name may be added at a later stage through a name amendment. A name amendment requires an approved name reservation and a special resolution to effect a change to the Memorandum of Incorporation (MOI).
To reserve a company name, follow these steps:
- Click on”On-line transacting”/Name Reservation;
- Login using your Customer Code and Password;
- Click on Name Reservations/Proposed Name;
- Click on “Proposed Names”;
- Capture one to four names in order of preference. Please ensure that you capture the names accurately. If you make an error, you will need to apply for a name change at a later stage;
- Click on “Submit Proposed Name”.
- A screen will display, indicating if the exact name test was successful or not. If the test for one of the proposed names was not successful, it will be indicated with a cross. Click on Back and propose another name if you want to add another name. Click on Lodge Name Reservation.
- The next screen will indicate that the proposed name(s) has been reserved, and provide you with a reservation number. Click on either Back to Name Reservations or on Home.
- You will receive an SMS and email confirmation of the name reservation with the reference number of the reservation.
The service delivery standard for a name reservation is 5 working days from the date of submission.
Apply for a name change electronically
- On-line Transacting and then “online name change for companies
- Login using your customer code and password and follow the prompts
- Go to online name change
- Click new application.
- Type in registration number
- Click on validate
- Enterprise details will appear
- Tick to confirm it is the correct company
- Click on continue
- Block for billing appear
- Click on continue
- Enter reservation number
- Click on verify
- Click on continue/ cancel
- Click on icon of calendar
- To select resolution date
- Click on continue
- Confirmation will appear
- Tick to confirm
- Tick to agree
- One time pin (OTP) sent to all directors. Each director will receive unique OTP.
- Enter each pin as received
- Click verify
- Once all the OTP have been verified and a green mark displayed, click on continue.
- Confirmation certificate will be emailed.
Apply for a name change manually
Print and complete form CoR15.2
Scan and e-mail the completed and signed documents together with supporting information to email@example.com
The following supporting documents must be included in your e-mail:
- Confirmation notice of the approved name reservation - CoR9.4
- The original written resolution adopted at a shareholders meeting
- Certified identity copy of signatory (active director/company secretary)
- Power of attorney (if applicable)
- Certified id copy of applicant