Changes to the Registered Address of the Company
The registered address of a company is very important, as it is the address at which any legal documents will be served on the company. Companies are required by law to ensure that this information is up to date, and maybe liable for a fine or prosecution if it is found that the information is not up to date. The Companies Act requires all companies to keep records of their minutes, resolutions and decisions, as well as the financial statements and share register at a location that has been declared. A notice of the location of the company records must be filed with the CIPC only if the company records are not kept at its registered office or address.
To apply for a change to the registered address of the company, follow these steps:
Register as a Customer
To view information on how to register as a customer, click here. If you are already registered as a customer, and know your customer code and password, proceed to step 2.
Lodge a notice of the registered address electronically
- Click on "On-line Transacting" and then on "Company and Close Corporation Address Changes";
- Login using your Customer Code and Password and follow the prompts;
- Go to “Co & CC Address Change”;
- Type in the registration number (year/sequence/type) at the Enterprise Number field and click "Validate". Confirm whether the provided registration number corresponds with the enterprise detail being displayed. If not, reconfirm registration number by typing it in at the Enterprise Number field and click Validate. If correct, click "Continue".
- Complete the indicated mandatory fields, Effective Date, E-mail Address, Postal and Physical Addresses and click on "Lodge". Please note that the effective date for companies may only be 5 working days from the date of lodging the change.
- The next screen will indicate that the address change has been lodged, and provide you with a tracking number.