Register a Personal Liability Company
The directors and past directors (where applicable) of personal liability companies are jointly and severally liable together with the company for any debts and liabilities arising during their periods of office.
A personal liability company may only be registered manually.
To register a personal liability company follow these steps:
Register as a Customer
To view information on how to register as a customer, click here. If you are already registered as a customer, and know your customer code and password, proceed to step 2.
Deposit R425 for company registration without a name reservation or R475 for a company registration with a name reservation into the CIPC bank account. For the bank account details, click here. Use your customer code as reference when depositing money into the CIPC bank account.
Reserve a Corporate Name
For more information about name reservation, click here. Any company may be registered with or without a company name. If a reserved name is not included in the initial application, the company will be registered with its enterprise number. A name may be added at a later stage through a name amendment. A name amendment requires an approved name reservation and a special resolution to effect a change to the Memorandum of Incorporation (MOI).
To reserve a company name, follow these steps:
- Click on”On-line transacting”/Name Reservation;
- Login using your Customer Code and Password;
- Click on Name Reservation;
- Select and Click on “Proposed Names”;
- Capture four (4) names in order of preference. Please ensure that you capture the names accurately. If you make an error, you will need to apply for a name change at a later stage;
- Click on “Submit”. Please ensure that you only press “Submit” once. If you press the cursor more than once, you will be making multiple submissions and will be charged for them individually;
- Click on ”Continue with the reservation” and “Print”. You will receive an email notifying you if any of the names were successful. This will take the form of a COR9.4 approving the name reservation and indicating the period of validity of the name reservation;
The service delivery standard for a name reservation is 5 working days from the date of submission.
Print and complete the following forms relating to incorporation:
- For a personal liability company you need to complete CoR15.1B or draft your own MOI. It is advisable to retain the services of a legal professional for this purpose.
- You may impose restrictions on the management and ownership of the company in respect of any of the alterable provisions of the MOI. This is called ring-fencing of provisions. For example if you wish to limit the business activities of the company can undertake, you will need to ring-fence certain provisions of the MOI. In order to ring-fence provisions, you need to submit CoR14.1C.
- If you wish to appoint an auditor, audit committee members and/or company secretary, download and complete CoR14.1 Annexure D. It is not mandatory to appoint any of these for a private company, and is at the discretion of the shareholders.
Scan and e-mail the completed and signed documents together with supporting information to firstname.lastname@example.org;
The following supporting documents must be included in your e-mail:
- Confirmation notice of name reservation - CoR9.4 (if applicable)
- Certified identity copy of applicant
- Certified identity copy of all incorporators and directors
- Power of attorney (if applicable)
Service turnaround time: 25 working days from date of tracking.