Register a Public Company
A public company is a company that may offer its shares to the public, but is restricted in its right to make pre-emptive share offers.
Public companies must have at least three directors. Only public companies may be listed on the Johannesburg Securities Exchange. Public companies must be audited and must produce audited financial statements which are tabled with their shareholders annually. Depending on the size of the public company, the company may also be required to have an Audit Committee and a Social and Ethics Committee.
A public company may only be registered manually.
To register a public company, follow these steps:
Register as a Customer
To view information on how to register as a customer, click here. If you are already registered as a customer, and know your customer code and password, proceed to step 2.
Deposit R425 for company registration without a name reservation or R475 for a company registration with a name reservation into the CIPC bank account. For the bank account details, click here.
Reserve a Corporate Name
For more information about name reservation, click here. Any company may be registered with or without a company name. If a reserved name is not included in the initial application, the company will be registered with its enterprise number. A name may be added at a later stage through a name amendment. A name amendment requires an approved name reservation and a special resolution to effect a change to the Memorandum of Incorporation (MOI).
To reserve a company name, follow these steps:
- Click on”On-line transacting”/Name Reservation;
- Login using your Customer Code and Password;
- Click on Name Reservations/Proposed Name;
- Click on “Proposed Names”;
- Capture one to four names in order of preference. Please ensure that you capture the names accurately. If you make an error, you will need to apply for a name change at a later stage;
- Click on “Submit Proposed Name”.
- A screen will display, indicating if the exact name test was successful or not. If the test for one of the proposed names was not successful, it will be indicated with a cross. Click on Back and propose another name if you want to add another name. Click on Lodge Name Reservation.
- The next screen will indicate that the proposed name(s) has been reserved, and provide you with a reservation number. Click on either Back to Name Reservations or on Home.
- You will receive an SMS and email confirmation of the name reservation with the reference number of the reservation.
The service delivery standard for a name reservation is 5 working days from the date of submission.
Register your company manually
Print and complete the following forms relating to incorporation:
- CoR14.1 Annexure D. (it is mandatory to appoint an auditor, audit committee members and a company secretary.)
- For a public company you need to submit a CoR15.1B or draft your own MOI. It is advisable to retain the services of a legal professional for this purpose.
- You may impose restrictions on the management and ownership of the company in respect of any of the alterable provisions of the MOI. This is called ring-fencing of provisions. For example if you wish to limit the business activities of the company can undertake, you will need to ring-fence certain provisions of the MOI. In order to ring-fence provisions, you need to submit CoR14.1C.
Scan and e-mail the completed and signed documents together with supporting information to firstname.lastname@example.org;
The following supporting documents must be included in your e-mail:
- Confirmation notice of name reservation - CoR9.4 (if applicable)
- Certified identity copy of applicant
- Certified identity copy of all incorporators and directors
- Power of attorney (if applicable)
Service turnaround time: 25 working days from date of tracking.